Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Great Darke County Fair

Growing up, we went to the fair to ride rides and walk around.  I remember having enough chances to go, if I wanted to.  When I got to high school and college age, I could have cared less about going to the fair - it just wasn't my thing.  Then I met Ryan - Ryan loved the fair.  He wanted to be there every day if possible.  I remember the first summer we were dating and he made me by a pass; I couldn't understand why I would need to buy that . . . we got our money's worth.

Most of you know that Aubrey was born about 2 1/2 weeks before the fair started.  Silly me thought we wouldn't go near as much that year.  I think I stayed home a few extra days than normal, but Ryan still managed to go most days.

Two years ago today, on Monday of the fair, Ryan went home to be with our Lord.  If there ever was a time that we'd definitely remember him, I think the fair is a good one.

I'd like to say I don't go to the fair as much now, but loving it must be in the Wulber blood.  (I do enjoy going as well).

We have been to the fair every day but Tuesday so far!  We watched 2 of Grandpa Wulber's horses get first place in their races - Friday night and Saturday.  Aubrey got to be in the race photos and was so excited.

On Sunday, we walked around a bit and rode rides - the big ferris wheel was the excitement of the day.

On Monday, Aubrey participated in the Little Miss Darke County Pageant.  She was disappointed that she didn't receive a trophy, but I thought she looked cute anyway :)

Also on Monday night, Aubrey and I rode the big viking ship at the fair.  Yesterday afternoon, we rode rides with Camryn and Kaitlyn, and part of the time with a little girl from church.  Aubrey ride the viking ship several more times, even once without me.

I took the day off work today, so we will go back to the fair.  Tomorrow evening, Aubrey will be in the kiddle tractor pull.

-A

2 comments:

  1. April, I think fair time is the perfect time to remember Ryan and how much he enjoyed it. I'm glad you and Aubrey spend time there thinking of him and enjoying it too. We always think of you guys this week in August and hope you are doing well. We'll see you around outside, I'm sure. Blessings to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aubrey is so beautiful! I enjoy reading your updates, memories, and watching Aubrey grow up in to such a wonderful little girl:)

    ReplyDelete