Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Traveling Adventures

Aubrey and I (and my mom) have just returned from almost a week in Florida. This past year I have had the amazing opportunity to participate in a committee for the International Reading Association's Teachers' Choices Project. The purpose of this committee was to review almost 400 books ( with help from teacher readers) and be helpful in choosing the top 30 of the books we received.

We flew into Orlando around 7:00 on Saturday evening. On Sunday, we went to Sea World and it was hot; I got a sunburn ;(,



As part of this project, we presented a panel discussion at the IRA conference with Elizabeth Partridge, Loreen Leedy, and Jon Scieszka, whom I got to introduce.

Below is a picture of Jon and me!



Later on Monday, I was to attend a dinner reception with author and illustrators from Holiday House, I rode there in Loreen Leedy's vehicle, a Ford Escape (I used to drive one!)

Tuesday was another presentation, this time book talking the 30 winners of the Teachers' Choices awards. I had dinner with authors from Penguin, Gayle Forman, Gennifer Choldenko, and Judy Schachner, of Skippyjon Jones fame. Someone else took the pictures and I have to wait until they email them to me to post them!

Wednesday was the final day of the conference and I actually got to attend a few presentations. We ate at the Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney on Wednesday evening, that was fun!

Thursday we went to Universal Studios Islands of Adventure and spent much of our day in Seuss land. Aubrey enjoyed her time there.



-A

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You're nearly famous! What an exciting week that was. I was wondering if you were any closer to moving, and I saw from your last post that you are! That's great...hope things keep moving forward smoothly. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the new house and all the changes you've done.

    gretta

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGoodness! Jon Scieszka and others! Wow. Super cool, April! You certainly did a lot of work with the TC project so you deserved that trip and time with great book people. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete