Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Star-Studded Chicago Visit

I have just returned from 3 1/2 days in Chicago at the International Reading Association Conference. I left Sunday afternoon and arrived much earlier than I planned to in Chicago, because there was a time change that I hadn't thought about. We had dinner Sunday evening with Greg Tang, famous for his books about math puzzles and mathematical thinking - he is very funny.
On Monday, we had three authors on our panel presentation, and the Two Sisters, famous for The Daily 5 and The Cafe attended our presentation. They were sitting in the back and I spotted them and made them pose for a picture with me. Also have pictures with Janet Stevens and Susan Stevens Crummel and Simone Elkeles, the three authors on our panel.
I met Jane Yolen, Robert Burleigh, and Nick Bruel.
Monday night we had dinner with Holiday House authors and I got to sit next to Laurie Lawlor all evening. We had a wonderful time, but did not get her picture :( Tuesday morning I got to attend a Scholastic sponsored breakfast and heard Mem Fox speak. I talked with Kate Messner. I went to dinner with some new friends from Columbus on Tuesday night. We planned a walking trip to eat and shop down the Magnificent Mile. After our 2 1/2 hour dinner, it was raining and we got soaked on the way to the American Girl store. Nevertheless, I did get some doll clothes for Aubrey's Itty Bitty doll and a shirt for Aubrey. She also got a book signed by Jim Aylesworth. I believe she was more excited about the signed book than the doll clothes. I went to much more trouble for the doll clothes than the signed book!
This morning we had breakfast with Ruth Culham, of Traits Writing fame. I attend sessions and spoke with professional authors, Laura Robb and Janet Allen. I am now extremely tired and still have many bags to unpack! -A

2 comments:

  1. What an experience! Cool!!! Amy B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Kate Messner just the best?! What a sweet, sweet person! Loved hearing about your trip. Maybe one of these days I'll get to go!

    ReplyDelete