Thursday, June 24, 2010

6/24/10 #2

Ryan's fever is still down; I think they finally got that issue taken care of. Thank God for that piece of positive news. The nurse wanted Ryan to get up and walk tonight, so I prodded him along and we walked about 8 laps around the unit up here. They allowed him off his oxygen to walk and checked it after every lap. He kept his level above 90, so they have him off of the oxygen as of right now. If the levels fall later, they will put him back on for another day. His platelet count was at 20 today; the nurse said yesterday that a fever burns off platelets, so that's why he wasn't keeping them even when they were transfusing them. He hasn't had a fever for about 24 hours, so hopefully his platelets will go back to building up instead of dropping down.

His potassium and magnesium levels look fine today and his heart rate seems to be down - probably due to no fever as well.

Another piece of good news is that Ryan didn't have any pain today and thus no pain medicine. He is also down to only 1 antibiotic as the cultures haven't grown anything infection wise. They also checked for CMV virus; I haven't heard anything else about this, Ryan thinks they said he doesn't have it. I'll have to get clarification on that one from the nurse or doctor.

I am still concerned that he is very sleepy. I was feeling good that he talked to me on the phone this morning and sounded awake, but he has probably been sleeping for 3 of the 3 1/2 hours I've been here. Dr. Devine said originally that if the fatigue didn't get any better that they'd do a spinal tap to check for leukemia in the spinal fluid. I'm worried that they may have to do that.

I'm receiving more peace each day, but I'm still struggling with disappointment that we have had to cancel our summer vacation plans and I still hate leaving little Aubrey, even though I know she's in good hands with my parents and that she loves to swim and play with her cousins as she gets to do there. My mom didn't know what she was in for when she told me that she'd watch Aubrey some this summer . . .

The continued prayers are surely felt and appreciated as we do our best to seek God's will in all this.

-A

2 comments:

  1. Looks like things are looking up. We're praying for you both.
    April, I can't find your cell #. I have something for you and need to know where to send it. I also have some info I need to share with you. Please give me a call.
    You're in our thoughts and prayers.
    Carolyn and Jerry Armstrong

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been praying for you fervently. God's Word is His will for us. III John 2 states, "Beloved,I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health,even as thy soul prospereth." We love you!!
    Uncle Don & Aunt Charlotte

    ReplyDelete