Monday, June 21, 2010

The Update

They have decided that the blood results they got last night and this morning are a clear enough that we need to treat this as a relapse of the leukemia. Ryan will begin chemotherapy tomorrow morning. He will be getting a drug that they've pronounced several times today, but I still don't know what it is. It is a drug that is normally used in children, as many of the drugs they have to treat ALL since it is a childhood disease. They were going to do a bone marrow biopsy, but decided to spare Ryan the pain of the procedure because the bloodwork showed them enough that the marrow would only show them what they already know. That doesn't rule out that there's some sort of infection as well; Ryan's temperature has bounced around today from normal to 102 degrees.

Ryan seems to feel a little better today, although he is still very tired. The doctor said that with a relapse within 3-4 months after transplant that the prognosis isn't good, but Ryan is a determined person, so he has told the doctor that he's going to beat this. I'm pretty determined most of the time, but in these situations, I'm the worrier. I ask for your prayers because I often worry about losing Ryan and how that would affect our precious Aubrey. I worry about Ryan not being able to go back to work and what that means for us financially. I worry about leaving Aubrey to be with Ryan; I worry about leaving Ryan to be with Aubrey. God has proven himself two times already - he has covered all our needs since this whole ordeal began and in my heart I know that he is still holding us and will show his miracles to us each step of the way. I just have to get past the other things clouding my thoughts.

Ryan's uric acid was high when we came in last night. It is supposed to be between 4.7 and 7.7 - it was 12 last night and 8 at noon today. The nurse drew blood about an hour ago to check it again and they expect it to be back down to normal level - that would be positive news. When a person's white count gets high and the cells begin to break up or die, they release uric acid. When there's too many white blood cells, there's too much uric acid and that can harm the kidneys. Ryan's kidney function levels are also high, which means that his kidneys are working exactly as they're supposed to, but they expect that those levels will drop with more fluids and as Ryan feels better and begins drinking and urinating more regularly.

The other issue that the doctor is concerned most about is Ryan's fatigue. He is still very tired, although he says he feels better today than he has. Dr. Devine said that after a day or so of the chemo that if he isn't feeling better that they would do a spinal tap to check for leukemia in the spinal fluid.

I hope what I have written makes sense. I tried to sleep at the hospital last night in the recliner - it wasn't comfortable and they apparently don't want their patients to sleep because I think they were in the room every hour.

-A

11 comments:

  1. April,
    We are all thinking about you and Ryan both and are sending prayers your way. Please let us know if we can do anything at all.
    Eva and Scott Brownlee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers are being offered for Ryan and your family. Relapses are such scary events and it is so normal for all of the thoughts running through your head, April. I am sorry that you have another detour here-praying for strength to sustain you.
    Carmen Snyder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our prayers are with all of you. Don't let the devil steal your peace. God has taken care of you in the past and still is today. I will remind you of the verse that you posted awhile back that in turn helped me. Jeremiah 29:11 I know the plans I have for you......
    Much love,
    diana dyrness and family

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear the news of the relapse. Erin and I and our family are praying for Ryan and your family. May God continue to strengthen your faith as you and Ryan cling to each other. Your church family is right behind you all the way.~~Alan

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you need anything at all, please let us know. Tell Ryan we are thinking about him and praying for him!! He's very strong and determined as you said, he will beat this!!

    Love,
    Jake, Brandi, Kaitlyn and Camryn

    ReplyDelete
  6. April,

    I think you and Ryan are two of the strongest, most positive people I know. If anyone can beat this thing, it's you guys. Please know we are praying for you, Ryan, and Aubrey. Gather strength from those around you.

    Tiffany & Travis Minton

    ReplyDelete
  7. April,

    You, Ryan and Aubrey are in my prayers.

    Hugs,
    Jan Vivanco

    ReplyDelete
  8. April,
    You guys are in our thoughts and prayers. You guys are so positive and you have no idea how much that can do for a person. We also know that God is with you and that will help you through as well. If you need anything please let us know. I am around home most of the time and I am sure Jake would love to play with Aubrey if you need someone to watch her.
    Love,
    Julie, Jon and Jake

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please let me know what I can do for you. My prayers and thoughts are with you all. Gather strength from all those that care about each and everyone of you.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hang in there April and Ryan!! I so admire you guys' faith and positive approach to everything-You're all in our prayers!
    Alyssa and Jake DeMange

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. And If you guys need anything please call and let us know what we can do to help.

    Taylor, Joanne, & family

    ReplyDelete