Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A lucky wife

I consider myself very lucky to be married to such a strong man. I thank God each and every day that he has such a positive attitude about life and this cancer. It took me a couple of days to come to terms with this, but I never saw him falter. He has been tough and positive through this whole ordeal, I think that is partly why he is doing so well in such short time.

I gave Aubrey a bath tonight with no tears, she even played a little! I finally got the hang of it, I guess. I will, however, give the job back to Ryan when he is home and feeling up to it. I think she enjoys the bath time more with Daddy, I guess he just has the knack for it.

I got to visit Ryan this morning, instead of this evening. We watched the movie Fireproof before he was to head to surgery. Around 11 the doctor came in and shared that they decided to postpone the surgery until Ryan's counts were up a little more. The had done some blood work to see if his fever was being caused by infection and that came back negative, so there wasn't concern that the temporary port he has now was causing infection. There was some concern that because his platelets were so low that his body might not be able to clot when they took the temporary port out, so they decided it was best to wait. So after our movie, one of few that he watched without falling asleep, I headed back to work. I think we'll have to figure out a way to watch movies during the daytime more often, it is much more fun to watch a movie with someone who is awake!

Counts were still hovering around 100 today, the doctor said they can't get any lower, so now we just wait until they begin to rise back up. This is the difficult part for me, I have to be patient for everything to do its work before he can get back home. I'm not always so good at patience . . .

Ryan's fever was 100.9 when I left this morning, but was down to 98.1 this afternoon and was still down when I talked to him tonight. That had been a big concern that it might be signaling infection, but with the blood tests being negative and the fever dropping, we saw another answer to prayer.

Ryan's cough is still bothering him. It is nowhere near as bad as it was when he went to the doctor, but it is still there and bothers him, continue to pray that the cough will subside soon.

Although I don't understand why we're going through this, I have already begun to realize that I'm not in control and that God will take care of things if I let him do it.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." We have the hope and belief that God will see us all the way through this.

-A

2 comments:

  1. Ryan, April & Aubrey:

    We are in our thoughts and prayers. We are so glad to hear Ryan is doing better. Eric and I have a great memory of Ryan, ask him about reorganizing our home when we were on our honeymoon! It wasn't all Ryan, he had a helper! I bet you will get a laugh! If there is anything we can do, please let us know.

    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  2. We look forward to your updates everyday. April, you are being so strong through all this, Ryan is lucky to have you, too. You two make an awesome couple. The quote you added at the end of your post was excellant, and comforting for us all to read. Aren't we supposed to be comforting you??!! You two keep up the good work and the awesome awesome faith. You are an inspiration for us all. We'll keep the prayers coming for all of you.

    Isn't Fireproof a great movie??!! We really liked it too, and amazingly, my husband stayed awake for that one too! We hope that Aubrey will have her dad back at home real soon so she can better enjoy her bathtime!

    We'll keep asking our dear LORD for your continued strength and healing. Keep the good news coming!

    Alan, Vickie (Schmitmeyer), Simon and Eli Dirksen

    ReplyDelete