Monday, July 12, 2010

Constant Checking

I started the day with a phone call from the nurse practitioner - she wanted to inform me that overnight Ryan had had a temperature of 102.4 and his blood pressure dropped and heart rate went up again as it did the other night. Ryan was feeling better when she called and she told me that he was sitting up in bed reading a phone book. I thought that was pretty strange for Ryan, so once we were done talking, I called him. He was in bed, eating breakfast, and I asked him about reading the phonebook. He said he wasn't reading the phone book and so I asked him what he was reading. He told me that he was reading the Fastline (tractor ads and such), I thought that was quite funny that the nurse practitioner that it was a phone book. :)

Around 9:30, Aubrey, my mom, and I got to the hospital. Ryan was awake for a while, but then fell asleep, so Aubrey amused herself by pushing her stroller around and then drawing on the white board in the room. Around 11, she and mom took off to head for home.

Ryan's white count was down to 1 today, platelets were 10 and so he got a bag of platelets, his hemoglobin was 8.3 and so he didn't need any blood today. Ryan's temperature has been hanging out around 99 today, it was 97 the last time they took it around 8. His blood pressure was low this morning and they've been watching it all day - the last two times they've taken it, it was getting much closer to normal.

The doctors are watching his chemistry levels very closely because as the chemotherapy kills the white blood cells, they break down and release potassium, calcium, magnesium, etc. into his blood. They have to make sure these levels stay in a certain range, so they check these levels two to three times during the day. Things look good tonight. He has been sleeping since after he ate supper. He hasn't needed any nausea or pain medicine today, so that is a positive note.

He will have two more doses of chemo, tomorrow night and Wednesday morning. Then we will see after that how he is feeling, what his counts are doing, and then they'll decide when he gets to come home. Hopefully, not too many days after; it is nice to stay in a hotel, but when it isn't for a fun trip, it isn't so fun (although Aubrey likes the swimming pool).

Prayers for Ryan's temperature to stay down and his blood pressure to level off at normal. We are also prayerful that the chemo will be strong enough to get the leukemia under control so Ryan will be able to get some immune cells from Russell to give his immune system a boost.

-A

4 comments:

  1. You posted the following on Saturday..."I am thankful that I know a God who is big enough to heal Ryan if that is his will for us."

    DO NOT EVER doubt that God's will IS for Ryan to be healed. It is NOT a matter of if.

    Do not let the devil steal your knowledge that God is a God who heals and wants complete health for His poeple.

    John 10:10
    The thief (the devil) cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill and to destroy: I (Jesus Christ) am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

    The devil will try to steal anything he can from you. Your peace, your time, your comfort in the scriptures, anything he can to distract you from the power of the truth of the written Word.

    God is willing and able to heal Ryan.

    3 John 2
    Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

    Proverbs 4:20-22 NKJV My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes; Keep them in the midst of your heart; For they are life to those who find them, And health to all their flesh.

    Psalm 30:2
    O Lord my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me.

    Isiah 41:10
    Fear thou not,for I am with thee; be not dismayed: for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; I will help thee; yea I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

    So go ahead and tell the devil to get out! He has no power over you or Ryan and he has no place in your lives.

    Your loving cuzin,
    diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell Ryan that he is in the thoughts and prayers of every one of his old nurses at the Miami Valley Hospital Bone Marrow Unit. I know how difficult being tied down in the hospital is for Ryan and how difficult it is for you and Aubrey at this time in your life. We will keep you and Aubrey in our thoughts and prayers also and pray or your strength and God's guidance as you struggle with the role of wife, caregiver, and mom.

    Cindy Worley, RN
    MVH Bone Marrow Transplant Unit
    7 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. shift

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi April,
    I have been wanting to let you know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers. You have had a rough road, but I know that you have the strength and the faith to continue to be strong. Knowing that there are so many praying and sending loving thoughts will also give you strength. You have a beautiful daughter that I'm sure brings much joy and peace to both you and Ryan and the rest of the family. With heartfelt prayers.....Kirk and Becky Falknor and family!!

    ReplyDelete