Saturday, July 10, 2010

Never a Boring Moment

Some people review their lives and realize that they very seldom did anything exciting. I cannot say that about Ryan and I, and especially Aubrey. Our lives have a been a whirlwind of activity, but in the last few sleepless nights - watching Aubrey try to sleep in her stroller, watching Ryan sleep in a hospital bed right across the room, I thank God that I'm not living a boring life. Some days it would sure be easier to know that when I make plans to do something, whatever I plan will come to pass, but that rarely happens in our family. I think I have a "go with the flow" daughter for that reason :)

I left the hospital yesterday a little after 4 and headed towards my parents' house to pick up Aubrey. We ended up meeting in Greenville and eating supper, and then headed to walk around Farm Power of the Past because I figured Aubrey would enjoy seeing the tractors. Little did I know so much was happening in Columbus and the night I thought I was going to enjoy sleeping in my own bed was not actually going to happen. Sometime around 8:30 I received a voicemail on my phone from Nathan (my brother-in-law). I had checked my phone all night, and texted Ryan (I know, we don't text), but I never received an answer from him.

I had told Ryan I would call him once I got Aubrey in bed, but since we went to Farm Power of the Past, that was going to be later than I expected, so I tried calling him around this 8:30 time. No one answered and then Nathan's voicemail came through. I tried calling Ryan again, tried calling Rachel, and searched crazily through my phone for Nathan's phone number, but could not find it anywhere. I ended up calling the hospital and speaking with Ryan briefly, and doctor, and two nurses, I think. By then, I was almost sick to my stomach. I was pretty worked up and still trying to drive home, still trying to get hold of Rachel or Nathan. I called my mom to tell her I was returning to Columbus, then called Ryan's dad trying to find Nathan's number. I finally found it and got the picture of what was happening at the hospital.

Around 6:30, Ryan got sick, then got a high fever (104). From 6:30 to around 8:30 the nurse was in his room almost constantly trying to make him comfortable and figure out the best thing for him. When I finally talked to Nathan, they were considering moving Ryan to ICU, which eventually did not happen. They have moved him to a progressive care room, where the nurses can give him a little more attention.

When Aubrey, Mom, and I arrived at the hospital a little after midnight, Aubrey was awake and Ryan's fever had come down to around 102.6, it later fell even more than that, but was up to 103 around 5:00 this morning. At 8:30 this morning, his fever was back down to 100.6, progress. We are hoping that with continued ice packs and more chemotherapy, his white count will continue to fall and his fever will release (as it did 2 weeks ago). The doctors were in this morning, they felt that Ryan looked better than he did last night at 6. Ryan was complaining of a little pain in his side, they said probably his spleen which is working overtime, trying to help rid his body of the leukemia that is breaking down from the chemo.

When Ryan started chemo last night, his white count was 54, it was down to 42 this morning. There will be more chemo sometime today and then 24 hours off and two more doses; then 24 hours off, and the last two doses.

I am thankful to God that I was able to come over last night; we are extremely thankful that Ryan seems better this morning than even a few hours ago; I'm thankful that my mom and Aubrey are 5 minutes away at the hotel and I get to see our daughter and take a shower here very shortly. We are thankful for efficient and caring nurses and doctors who want what is best for Ryan. I am thankful that I know a God who is big enough to heal Ryan if that is his will for us. I am thankful that we have so many friends and family members who spend time in prayer for us. Many days I want normal, but I think that normal doesn't always remind me that God is in control.

Praying for the fever to release, and Ryan's white count continue to drop with his chemotherapy. Praying for peace for all involved.

-A

2 comments:

  1. April,
    I will be in Columbus all day Sunday with students attending a trade show in the convention center by the arena. If I can bring you anything, let me know.
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying and thinking about all of you. Thank you for taking the time to post.
    ~Jacci

    ReplyDelete