Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Another Sleepy Day

Ryan was pretty sleepy again today. His white count was still at 400 today, but his platelets and hemoglobin came up on their own again today. The nurse practitioner said tomorrow or Friday we should see his white count moving up. She said that the platelets and hemoglobin usually come up 2 or 3 days before the white cell count starts up.

Ryan got sick after eating his breakfast this morning and then felt nauseous again before supper. They had to give him a second dose of nausea medicine before he could eat, but then he ate his grilled cheese and some potato chips, as well as the pickle spear that I was hoping that he'd let me eat. I got one bit and then tried to get him to give me another, but he had already eaten it!

He mentioned that he wanted to go outside today, but then he got sleepy and we ended up only walking to the cafeteria. The next couple of days are supposed to be really nice, so we'll probably get outside soon.

They mentioned the word home today and his nurse went over all the discharge instructions about what he is and is not allowed to do and when we're supposed to call the hospital, etc. I still have to practice changing his dressing and flushing his line because I'll be responsible for that when he's out of the hospital. I'm a little nervous about that, but I have only practiced flushing the line once, so once I've practiced it, I think I'll be ok. The nurse said that the worse thing that can happen is that the lockcock on his line comes open and blood begins rushing out. I asked how often that happened and she told me not very often and if it did that I shouldn't panic, ha ha - she doesn't know me very well :) I panic when Ryan's temperature goes about 98.6, when he gets sick, and when I think he's sleeping too much.

We're praying that Ryan continues to cruise on and that once his counts begin to come up, that they will recover as they're supposed to and his 2-3 times/week visits at the clinic will only last for a couple weeks before we can come home.

This is the day that the Lord hath made, we will rejoice and be glad in it.
-A

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear that four lett word...home! Hope all continues well. I could tell Ryan was tired yesterday when I talked to him around 2ish. It was good to talk to him for about 5 minutes. April, I'm sure if you have any questions about flushing the lines, you can call my mom. She flushed mine when I had one after my surgery. Take care and you continue to be in our prayers.

    Scott, Kim, Zach and Lydia Ward

    ReplyDelete